Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Back to School

The teacher workshop for this first week after school closing is being held in a 1970's built (ugly!) school. This means three floors, no elevator service, and no windows.

Today was our first day to top 90 degrees -- and with the high humidity of the mid-west it was very hot.

We started the meeting in the basement (what they called the first floor -- guests enter on the second floor). It was announced they were working on the air. At 9:00 it was already 88 degrees in the building.

At 10:00 they released us to meetings on the 3rd floor. I'm schlepping a heavy Apple laptop which I was required to bring, plus all the curriculum junk they had requested -- and my lunch. On the 3rd floor we find out that besides losing air-conditioning, they also had no Internet service in the building. Can the laptop.

By noon the heat was at 93 degrees inside the building. No cool place could be found to eat my lunch. They did deliver bottled water to us -- at room temp.

At 3 p.m. the temp inside the building was at 98 degrees and we were all feeling sick.

But they wouldn't release us early -- we ran right up to 3:30.

True to my form, my cell phone wasn't functioning and Hubby had driven me to the site, not to pick me up until 3:30. Otherwise I'd had walked out.

As it was, by the time I got home all I could do was go to bed and sleep away my misery. Now, of course, it's 1 a.m. and I'm not sleepy at all. However, you can guarantee that by 6 a.m. tomorrow morning, I'll be exhausted again.

No guarantee of air tomorrow either. I'm leaving the laptop at home. I might wear underwear and I might not.

Phooey!

3 comments:

Donna. W said...

Unbelievable. The older I get, the more heat bothers me, to the point that if I try to do too much when it's hot, I get sick at my stomach.
Here's hoping you have A/C today.

Donna. W said...

I hate to leave a link in your comment section; would have emailed, but didn't find an email addy on your profile. Check out what Tony's Kansas City has to say about the KC teacher's situation:

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2010/06/tkc-exclusive-internal-memo-claims.html

Margaret said...

That seems like cruel and unusual punishment. We suffer when it gets above 80 here. I thought you guys had AC everywhere. I was wrong!!