Sunday, July 29, 2007

And Away We Go . . .

The new Apple laptop is fully charged and sitting in its case, along with an expensive mouse, a pad of paper, and a couple of varied colored ink pens. I can't really use the laptop without extensive cursing. First, in its carrying case it's almost too heavy for me to heft and any extended walking with it practically doubles me up (bad back and all that). Using the Apple is highly frustrating for me because I'm just not used to it. The last 12 years I've been solely Windows based and frankly, I see no reason to want to change horses in mid-stream. I'm sure that after six months or so, I'm going to adjust. I thought this summer I would get myself in Apple mode, but after typing one Word doc on the thing, I zipped it back into its case and there it sat, untouched.

I'm not sure I'll need the Apple tomorrow, but I'm going to take it along -- because I have it and I should be using it.

At 8 a.m. tomorrow morning I'm starting literacy training. Because I'm not literate, you ask?

This second round in education is funnier in some ways than the first round was. Literacy training is a prime example. Only English teachers have been asked to take "literacy training." Maybe I would have more understanding if coaches or home economics teachers were being trained (I know, that's a stereotype) but no, it's only for English teachers or those who work with them.

So tomorrow I go to learn to be literate. Literally.

P.S. They are paying me to take the training. That's the good news. But I've got two full days at a convention center and then a day having a root canal and then a day learning to use the Apple. I'll tell you all about it at the end of the week -- if I'm literate enough, that is. What a hoot!

No comments: