Thursday, July 12, 2007

Nothing Like a Rant to Restart Blogging

So people started writing me about their experiences with insurance companies, which are clearly -- along with the pharmaceuticals – the Satans of the modern age in the United States.

Here’s an example from a friend who works at a lab:

I wish that I could tell you that your story is one that I have not heard before. Given that I work directly with insurance companies I often see problems for patients where the insurance has denied erroneously and we, XXX Lab, not knowing that the denial is erroneous send the patient a bill. Patient needless to say is incredibly upset that they get a bill from XXX Lab and think that we are the screwiest company ever (kind of like your Walgreen's experience but unfortunately, we don't have a storefront that people come in to) and then refuse to believe that the issue is with their insurance company. I often call the insurance company with the patient to hear the insurance company tell us that they denied the claim - sometimes they acknowledge their error and sometimes they don't.

There are some definite issues with the system - there is not really a consequence for insurances when they deny claims in error - it actually is in their benefit as they get to hold on to their money longer and think how many patients don't complain and just pay the bill.....or never pay the bill and expect someone like my company to re-file to the insurance (which takes time and money for us....the insurance company doesn't care....) ...not sure who did your blood work but, if it was XXX Lab and you have any problems, please feel free to let me know.

And from a teacher in another state who is simply fed up with bureaucrats in general:

I truly understand about Humana. A good reason why your system should get rid of them. The thing that blows my mind most is the time and level of frustration it takes to deal with every freakin’ bureaucracy. I'm having something similar right now with XXX School District trying to get reimbursed to the tune of $1800 for a trip I took to the international reading conference in May. The trip had to be approved by the superintendent and now they're telling me my reimbursement needs to be approved by him also. Mind you – XXX School District isn't even paying for it!!!!! It's part of a grant.

Go figure. So much time wasted by everybody on this SHIT!

This came from a friend in another state who is self-employed:

doG! Milly, what a mess. Sounds like (name of state) Care. My sister is covered by it and what you have gone through she has as well...at least three times. Hopefully this will not happened again. But make sure you have anti-anxiety meds on hand for the next renewal.

This came from a scientist working in a lab in a local hospital:

OK, here is what XXX Insurance Company did (usually we have great response from them). I still think XXX is the best insurance we have ever dealt with. They canceled out insurance for the last week of our old fiscal year policy (last week of June). Everyone had to call the prescription coverage part to have them reinstate us for meds needed that week. What a bummer. No one realizes the time and frustration this puts on the American population (at least no one who can change it).

Another teacher in a district just across the state line wrote:

I could not agree with you more about Humana being the company from h e l l !!!

Numerous issues over the years, mostly in regard to my migraine medications and what is or isn't covered, or what coverage has now changed after nine years. I HATE HUMANA!!


A friend from California who has retired wrote:

I deal with insurance companies every day since I do all the insurance billing for the acupuncturist at the clinic. Humana is not the only company from hell, believe me. We joke at the office that to be hired by an insurance company the #1 requirement is that you have no common sense, can't think for yourself and are as dumb as a bat There are a couple of smaller companies that are really good - but all the big guns are impossible to deal with. Fortunately the patient did not die for want of medication while trying to unravel their mess.



No comments: